The eye wear industry is undergoing strict regulations for restrictive substances in their products. So, customers work with NSL to take advantage of our full range of manufacturer frame and accessory regulatory testing services. NSL Analytical understands and applies appropriate regulations thanks to our advance ophthalmic testing services.
Especially in products designed for children.
- Lead (Pb) can be found in: bright paint colors of eye glass cases, lanyards, packaging, cleaning cloths and frames
- Phthalates (chemicals used to soften plastic) can be found in children’s toys and childcare articles, temple tips and nose pads in glasses.
- According to regulations periodic testing must be performed by a CPSC-accepted third party laboratory.
Please visit our Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act page for more information.
The California Proposition 65 statute states that no person in the course of doing business shall “knowingly and intentionally expose any individual to a listed chemical” without first giving a clear and reasonable warning. The governor of California is required to publish annually a list of chemical substances that the state has determined to either cause cancer or cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
- This is law of due diligence for any accessory or frame: labeling, knowledge and testing.
- Products must be identified and labeled as harmful.
- Manufacturers need to know what’s in their product.
- Products must be tested for quality control.
- Heavy metals like Lead (Pb), fire retardants, and plasticizers such as phthalates can tested and identified to existing in a product.
- Nickel is found in jewelry and metal eye glass frames. Nickel and its compounds may cause allergic contact dermatitis therefore its use must be limited in products that come in contact with the skin. NSL offers nickel release testing services in compliance with the latest test requirements.
- NSL has been involved with the protocols and procedures to test to EN 16128 and EN 1811-2011 Ni Release testing to meet the requirements of the EU Countries.
Contact Us for More Information
For more information, please feel free to complete an online information request. We would be happy to work with you.