Regular – Full Time
NSL Analytical Services Inc. is an independent, commercial materials testing laboratory. Our services comprise a broad spectrum of analytical testing for quality control, failure analysis, product performance, and material selection and characterization. We are currently searching for the most talented individuals to join our staff, and look forward to welcoming you to our team. We are always looking for team players with good problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to organize and multitask to meet production deadlines. The ideal candidates will be flexible, team oriented, and willing to learn multiple facets of our business.
The Chemist II, Alloy Lab, is an analytical chemist with significant practical laboratory experience. Work is characterized by selection and application of general and specialized methods, techniques, and instruments commonly used in the chemical analysis of metal alloys and ceramics. Analyzes a wide variety of samples for which there are standards or established methods of analysis or for which the adaptation of standard methods is obvious or determined by others. Works independently while under the general supervision of the Alloy Lab Technical Specialist.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the following responsibilities and duties:
- Perform chemical analyses using infrared/conductivity-based oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon and/or sulfur analyzers.
- Perform chemical analyses on ceramics and alloys using X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) and/or Spark OES spectrometers.
- Recommends updates to methods and procedures used in the analysis of metal alloys and ceramics.
- Interprets test results.
- Enter test results into the Lab Information Management System (LIMS) database.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to maintain quality assurance of results and seamless customer service.
- Selects and applies general and specialized methods, techniques, and instruments commonly used in the analysis of alloys and ceramics.
- Analyzes a wide variety of samples for which there are standard or established methods, or for which the adaptation of standards is obvious.
- Demonstrates high-level analytical problem-solving skills:
- Performs entire analytical process of fundamental projects without supervisory intervention in primary area of expertise.
- Identifies analytical problems that occur during testing of samples
- Trains Lab Assistants and Chemists as directed by the Alloy Lab Technical Specialist.
- Adheres to and ensures maintenance of safety and quality standards such as, for example, OSHA, ISO and Nadcap practices.
- Prepares written notes specific to problems with tests and/or analyses.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- One of the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in chemistry and a minimum of two years of post-graduate experience in the areas listed below, or
- A bachelor’s degree in a physical science or engineering including two semesters of chemistry, and a minimum of two years of post-graduate experience in the areas listed below, or
- A master’s degree in chemistry, a physical science or engineering including two semesters of chemistry, where the master’s program included experience in the areas listed below.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of the operation and care of LECO O/N, H and/or C/S analyzers, XRF spectrometers, and/or Spark-OES spectrometers.
- Knowledge of standardized laboratory procedures used in chemical analysis of alloys and ceramics, especially ASTM methods.
- Knowledge of accepted quality systems used in chemical analysis, including ISO and/or Nadcap.
- Ability to follow established methods and procedures, such as ASTM protocols.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and approved chemical disposal practices.
- Willingness to learn new tasks.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to organize and multi-task.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a member of a cohesive team.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to accept feedback and make adjustments when necessary.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
Work Conditions/Physical Demands:
General lab environment: includes sitting, standing and walking; infrequent lifting of up to 20 lbs., pulling, pushing, carrying, reaching, bending, twisting, climbing, squatting, and crouching. Work is completed in the lab environment that contains toxic materials with possible exposure to odors, acids, fumes and other reactive materials.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance – 1x salary of basic life insurance - no cost to employee
- Short Term Disability - no cost to employee
- Long Term Disability - no cost to employee
- Paid Time Off after 90 days of service
- 10 paid holidays after 30 days of service
- 401(k) - Eligible at the beginning of the month following 60 days of employment
To apply for this position or to learn more about NSL Analytical Services, please visit our website at http://www.nslanalytical.com/employment